This is the most simple calamari dish you could ever do and people with think that you are a culinary genius.
1) Go to your local specialty seafood market and get calamari steaks.
2) Go to your local supermarket and look for filo dough. (in most cased you can find it in the frozen section)
3) some regular all purpose flour
4) two to three eggs depending on how much calamari you plan to make
5) Guava paste & Guava juice (usually can be found in the ethnic food isle in your local supermarket and the juice comes in a cook can size container)
First let me explain what a calamari steak is. Most people when dealing with calamari are used to tubes and tentacles. Well a calamari steak is all of the tubes of many calamari ground up and pressed into a flat sheet or "steak". Filo dough is a very thing pastry dough that when cooked puffs out and gives a very flaky and crispy texture to things.
Okay so lets start making this dish. First make sure you calamari is thawed out and but it in slices about as wide as a Popsicle stick. Next you wanna take a knife and your filo dough and you want to shave the filo as thin as you can possibly make it. Now crack your eggs in a mixing bowl or shallow pan and whisk then very well. Now get yourself two other shallow pans or two mixing bowls. You are now gonna set up a very basic breading station. You will start with flour and then into the egg and then into the filo dough. Lay then out on a sheet pan until you have a batch breaded. Now you may begin to fry them in 375 degree oil of your choice. Only fry for about two to three minutes. By that time they should be golden brown. Place them on a paper twol to let any oil drain and then you are ready to make the dipping sauce.
This is a great sauce and is as simple as things can get. Take the Guava paste and Guava juice and pace in a blender and pulse until smooth. You want the sauce to run out of the blender when you pour but have a nice thick consistency to is so it coats the calamari. And there you have it you are ready to make a dish that will knock peoples socks off. So please enjoy and have fun on your food adventures.